Run for the runways, then fly into fall
Aviation enthusiasts will have lots to do on August 27, when the Midland Airpark will host the 1st annual Run for the Runways race and Fly into Fall aviation industry showcase. The city is hosting both events to bring interest and awareness to the airports’ operations and hopefully inspire future pilots, mechanics, and other aviation personnel to enter the flying-related field.
Run for the Runways
8 a.m. – 1 Mile Run
8:30 a.m. – 5K
Early risers interested in getting their blood flowing on a Saturday morning can participate in either the 1-mile or 5k Run for the Runways races, sponsored by the Midland Athletic Company. Runners will start at the airpark, travel around the Claydesta Plaza, head past the Claydesta Memorial Fountains, move around various oil field offices, and end back at the airpark for the start of the Fly into Fall event. Those who finish the races will “earn their wings” and receive a unique pin.
Sign up here: https://runsignup.com/Race/TX/Midland/RunfortheRunways
Fly into Fall
This aviation fair/showcase will feature various aircraft and classic car displays, discovery flights, preflight simulations, jumpers, and more! Participants will have plenty of food trucks to enjoy, and kids will be able to get their faces painted.
The complete list of displays and booths is below:
- Aircraft & Helicopters from local pilots
- Hands-on Aircraft Displays
- DPS Plane/Helicopter
- CAF Aircraft
- Airport Fire Trucks with Water Demo
- Classic Cars
- Discovery Flights from Floris Flight School
- Talk to the Tower in Air Traffic Control simulation
- Preflight simulation complete with Preflight inspection and mock cockpit experience
- A & P Station with hands-on Nuts and Bolts
- Higher Orbits
- Meet a Hero
- Educational Booths & Information
Midland International Airport
- Basin Aviation
- Floris Flight Services
- Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association (AOPA)
- Commemorative Air Force (CAF)
- Honor Flight
- MDC – Spaceport
- Commercial Pilots and Aerospace
- Civil Air Patrol
- Municipal Court
Job seekers interested in aviation should check out Fly into Fall’s career booths to find a position right for them.
Fly into Fall is free to all.